A contentious issue is about Governments and our personal data; but the Government already knows more about us then we can imagine.
- At Birth our parents get a Birth Certificate and the Government records this in their data base, our date and time of Birth, hospital where born, your parents names and address and of course your gender is recorded in a data base.
- When we join school our personal data is collected and during a Census personal data is again collected.
- When we get our Driving License we need to give data including our name, parents name, date of birth, address, physical deformities and some bio-metrics.
- When we apply for our Passport the Government collects data about us including bio-metrics; when we apply for a Visa to visit another country we readily give our personal data including bio-metrics.
- We pay tax to the Government and have to provide both personal and financial data to the Government.
- When we die our data is collected by the Government to issue our survivors a death certificate before we are laid to rest.
|Central Library – Bangalore
The Government is the Custodian of Citizen Data
Thus through the cycle of Birth, Living and Death the Government has adequate Data about us.
Let us consider secondary data that Government can easily access about us with a simple government or court order. They can get data about our telephone and mobile call records, which gives our location and also all our text messages, they can also get our records on email and social media.
Credit rating bureaus have data about us to measure our financial health, when requested they have to share this with the Government, also our data can be collected through financial regulators in our country. Insurance data bureaus have data about our health and risk profile when we are insured and also the total value of the insured amount to prevent fraud; this has to be provided to the Government when needed.
Secondary data about us can be collected from other sources by the Government, it is never a challenges once the Government Machinery moves in and we are the target of a Governmental investigation .
So when we talk about privacy about our Data I wonder what more information the Government may seek about us which they do not have in their database.
Once the Government has a central view of the data of an individual it is easy to manage and protect its country and citizens.
Your thoughts and comments on this are welcome!